Babenstein

The babe died stupidly one morning a year ago.

After a while, I found the large grip I had done on it was too large. I tried to take a little cork off by turning the whole butt piece of the rod. Everything looked good, but I wasn’t paying attention to the fact that the blank — although it was protected — was getting hot where it touched my $.02 DIY lathe.

It broke. I wanted to cry.

what you never want to see

What you never want to see

Here’s the result in its unbearable brutality:

This image is rated NC-17

This image is rated NC-17

It was time to put up a Clooney, IR-style…

Operating field prep

Operating field prep

Surgery, phase 1: amputation

Surgery, phase 1: amputation

Organ donor: Eurocasting Shannon 8'6 #4/5. Died a long ago on the battlefield

Organ donor: Eurocasting Shannon 8’6 #4/5. Died a long ago on the battlefield

Organ and receiver, ready for transplant

Organ and receiver, ready for phase 2: transplant

Aftermath

Aftermath

At that point I added a wrap on the scar, and the Babe looked almost as good as new. The bad news came from the lawn. There was something amiss in the post-surgery rod, I couldn’t recognize my Babe. The spigot was not completely right.

Then sh!t hapenned, and all of a sudden we were a year later. Needless to say, if I hadn’t seen much action fishwise, the rod have seen nothing but dust. Then, fall coming and being back in business with more fire than ever, I took the hard decision and the Babe for a bout of heroic surgery. Recovery or death.

I took the spigot apart, reshaped the lower part, made sure the higher part was dead locked in, then literally drowned the bottom in epoxy. Every void in the butt must now be full of cured epoxy. Nothing moves, the feeling seems to be back. The static looks good when lifting 250g.

Then I wanted to bullet-proof the scar, so after I covered it with three layers of wrapping and drown everything in epoxy again, I covered all of it with a Matagi decorative tube, the idea being to create a kind of straight spot in the lower foot of the rod.

Post op.

Post op.

As a friend said, it kind of looks like the old metal ferrules, one may even think it’s the way the Babe was always supposed to look.

The miracles of plastic surgery

The miracles of plastic surgery

The lawn will tell if she’s as good as she looks. She’s a kind of stylish survivor.

crutch

Russian pop-punk Gaga anyone?

Edit, one year later [August 2014]: the babe has recovered well. If fishes very well, and I tend to completely forget there ever were a problem with it, which is the best thing you could hope for.

5 thoughts on “Babenstein

  1. This is an eerily timely post..I’m starting to think that the grip on my cane rod that I built last year is too big and I keep thinking about sanding it down using my drill. (No lathe here unfortunately!)

    I think I’ll hold off for a bit.😉

  2. I have a similar blemish on a MHX blank, it was underneath a black sticky substance.

    What did your blemish look like?

    I guess it’s a minor matter now?

    ________________________________

    • hi John
      I’m not sure what blemish you’re talking about. In this instance, there wasn’t anything wrong with the blank, only a negative conclusion about a grip size experiment.
      now, I’ve built and seen quite a few MHX blanks, and it’s true that from time to time you get blemishes on them, like a little smear of finish or something. but it’s only a cosmetic thing, I never noticed a functional defect.
      let me emphazise: the pathetico-tragi-comic story above is 100% my fault.

  3. Pingback: Summer feasts | G0ne Fishin9

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s